What is the current firmware version?
Current Firmware Version
All Products: V003 R000 (3.0.01)
Masterbuilt has released the latest firmware for Gravity Series Grills (560, 800 & 1050) and the Digital Charcoal Smoker. These updates make significant improvements to the performance of the controller and fix a number of bugs. On update, your grill/smoker controller should read V003 R000.
V003 R000 (3.0.01) Released 4/26/2021
- Corrected a bug that caused the controller to power down during a cook while using App
- Repaired bug preventing some Android devices from connecting to WIFI network
- Removed “OPEN” notification on controller display when main lid/ door opened
- Improved Timer functionality o Added capability to monitor WIFI Signal Strength
- Updated firmware format to Version.Revision.Patch (3.0.01)
If you’re grill/smoker is still on V001 there have been a number of additional fixes that will improve the overall experience and functionality of your product as it updates to V003.
V002 R001 (0.2.01)
- Eliminated monitor only mode requiring user to press connect button each time lid was opened
- Fixed bug that was known to prevent the controller and app from communicating properly - Improved WIFI connection and stability
- Improved meat probe alarm characteristics
- Performance enhancements to temperature calibration
- Added Model number to Controller Display when plugged into power
- Added capability to change Temperature Conversion from °F / °C
- Adjusted temperature calibration
What is Firmware and how do I install it?
Firmware is an update to the product and will require the digital controller to be connected to Wi-Fi. It is recommended that firmware updates be completed on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connections (NOT 5GHz). It is not recommended to update over hotspot connections. When updates are available you will get a prompt to update your grill's firmware when opening the app.
Tips For Wi-Fi
Use a 2.4ghz Wi-Fi network (not 5Ghz) with a strong signal to set up Wi-Fi on the grill
Temporary hot spots are not recommended
Changes to the modem/router settings may cause the grill to lose Wi-Fi connection and setup will have to be repeated
Digital Charcoal App Overview
For an overview of how to set up the app and connect to your device see the Digital Charcoal App Overview
In case you experience problems during the initial set up or subsequent connectivity, follow the steps below to set up the grill once more:
1. Unplug the grill.
2. If you have the grill added in the App, remove it by tapping the "X" button.
3. Sign out of your Masterbuilt account using the profile screen.
4. Delete the App.
5. Restart your phone.
6. Reinstall the App.
7. Sign in to your Masterbuilt account.
8. Plug in the grill.
9. Follow steps to add the grill.
If Wi-Fi is not present, can the controller be updated through Bluetooth?
No, the controller can only be updated through a Wi-Fi connection.
The connection icon is blinking on the grill's controller
When the grill lid is opened, the ability to control the grill is disabled for mobile devices and placed in a “monitor only” mode until the lid has been closed and the “connect” button is pushed to re-enable full functionality for a mobile device. Every time the lid is opened, the user will need to push the connect button in order to gain mobile device control as a safety precaution.
Do I need to update the controller before I use the grill?
We do recommend updating the controller before using the grill to ensure it is running on the latest update, but it is not required before using the grill.
Tips For All Other Smokers
Connect/Pair Using the Masterbuilt App Only
DO NOT use the Bluetooth feature of your mobile device settings to search and connect to the smoker. To pair your device use the Masterbuilt application only. If you have already paired simply unpair/forget device setting in your mobile device and repair using the Masterbuilt application.
Always use the latest version of the Masterbuilt App and Operating System
Update to the most recent version of the Masterbuilt Application and/or phone Operating System prior to pairing.
Confirm Bluetooth is ON by checking the mobile device settings
Ensure Bluetooth is turned on and ready to connect.
Ensure Airplane/Power Saving modes are turned off
Power saving and airplane modes can turn off Bluetooth functionality.
Make sure your mobile device has a sufficient charge
A weak battery or low charge may not have the power needed for the Bluetooth signal to reach the smoker.
Move your device away from potential sources of interference like wireless routers, microwaves, poorly shielded electronic cables, and garage door openers
Delete any saved settings on your phone by clearing app cache or reinstalling the app
Make sure there are no other devices connected to the smoker
Only one device can be connected to the smoker at a time.
Turn your device off for 20-30 seconds then turn on the mobile device again
Unplug the smoker for 20-30 seconds then plug it back in
Once you have followed the steps above try to pair your device to your smoker. If you experience problems pairing your device to the smoker after following the steps above, please contact our customer service department for assistance.